Mercenaries Mode was such a hit in Resident Evil 4 that Capcom wisely carried the premise forward to Resident Evil 5 on PS3 and Xbox 360.
The premise behind Mercenaries Mode pits you against wave after wave of zombies whom you must defeat within an extendable time limit. Two players can play cooperatively as Chris Redfield and Sheva Alomar either offline via split-screen or online via Playstation Network or Xbox Live. Alternatively, you can tackle Mercenaries Mode solo without a partner.
There are 8 levels in Mercenaries Mode which each begin with only two minutes registered on the countdown clock. To extend the countdown clock you’ll need to locate orange glowing pillars. These are actually Time Bonus markers which can be accessed with a context-sensitive attack.
Also hidden in each level but harder to find are Combo Bonus’. Typically found within tucked away chests, these increase the points earned for combo kills exponentially. This is important as ranked scores for online Leaderboards are based on kills, number of combos executed and the overall score accumulated while playing.
An unlockable character skin is available with each level’s completion if you can complete the level with an A rank. The skins associated with each level are as follows.
- Public Assembly – Finish with an A rank to unlock Jill (BSAA)
- The Mines – Finish with an A rank to unlock Wesker (Midnight)
- Village – Finish with an A rank to unlock Chris (Safari)
- Ancient Ruins – Finish with an A rank to unlock Sheva (Clubin)
- Experimental Facility – Finish with an A rank to unlock Chris (Stars)
- Missile Area – Finish with an A rank to unlock Sheva (Tribal)
- Ship Deck – Finish with an A rank to unlock Jill (Battle Suit)
- Prison – Finish with an A rank to unlock Wesker (STARS)
We’ve included a Chris and a Sheva video below that show off the insanity of Mercenaries Mode where survival is only possible by the fittest and smartest players.
Resident Evil 5 for PS3 and Xbox 360 begins its infection on March 13 in stores everywhere. Discuss Resident Evil 5 in the HDR Forums.