Battlestar Galactica: The Complete Series will be the first complete television series released on Blu-ray Disc when Universal rolls the set out on July 28. It will also be one of the most expensive with an SRP set at $349.98 and Amazon pre-order pricing currently sitting at $244.99.
The cost of a monthly car payment is not keeping BSG faithful away from this extravagant Blu-ray release. Since going up for pre-order over the weekend, Battlestar Galactica: The Complete Series on Blu-ray has been a fixture in Amazon’s hourly Blu-ray top 10 bestsellers chart. At the time of this article it rests comfortably in slot number 5.
Everyone who has already pre-ordered the set has arguably done so blindly. Advertisements on Hulu and Caprica revealed the unedited version of Razor would be inclusive but no other Blu-ray details have been offered thus far.
Thanks to “The Live Feed” by James Hibberd at The Hollywood Reporter, the first details are out of the bag and I think you all will be pleased.
Battlestar Galactica: The Complete Series on Blu-ray will span 20 total discs (25 for DVD). Three episodes from season 4.5, available separately on Blu-ray as well, will be extended with never-before-seen footage.
James goes on to mention season 4.5 will include 13 hours of bonus material. His wording suggests that includes audio commentaries likely available for all episodes so the number is deceptive.
The complete list of bonus features for season 4.5 are outlined below and all appear to be new. It is assumed bonus features released previously on DVD and HD DVD will also be included. Note that the Ultimate Battle game is likely a BD-Live feature that allows for online play against friends.
- U-Control: Universal’s exclusive signature feature puts viewers one click away from going deeper into the making of the film without ever leaving the movie. (BD exclusive)
- THE ORACLE: An interactive guide including ships and characters. (BD exclusive)
- Battlestar Actual: A glossary of all the unique Battlestar Galactica terms. (BD exclusive)
- What the Frak Happened to You? Explore the history and connections of your favorite characters through video clips and relevant facts. (BD exclusive)
- BD-Live: Access the BD-Live Center through your Internet-connected player to get even more content, watch the latest trailers and more! (BD exclusive)
- Battlestar Galactica Ultimate Battle: Players can battle their friends as Colonials or Cylons using strategy and luck to achieve victory. (BD exclusive)
- My Scenes: Pick your favorite scenes from the film to create your own video montage. (BD exclusive)
- The Musicians Behind Daybreak: Composer Bear McCreary interviews and explains how many unique musicians have contributed the show and specifically the series finale, Daybreak. (BD exclusive)
- Evolution of a Cue: Composer Bear McCreary takes us step by step through his process of creating the music of Battlestar Galactica.
- What the Frak Is Going On With Battlestar Galactica?: A recap of Battlestar Galactica’s first three thrilling seasons – in only eight minutes!
- …And They Have a Plan: What do they mean every episode when the opening sequence on the Cylons states “And They Have a Plan”? All will be revealed in the upcoming movie The Plan.
- The Journey Ends: The Arrival: Battlestar Galactica has traveled full circle. The journey has concluded never to be revisited. But how did we arrive at the end?
- A Look Back
- So Say We All: Executive producer Ron Moore and the cast and crew reveal their personal insights on Battlestar Galactica.
- Manifesto Destiny: It all began with this manifesto. Why was it written and what was the response?
- Battle-Style Galactica: Those behind the camera delve into their approach to visual style of Battlestar Galactica.
- Martyr to a Cause: As the only actor to appear in both the original and reimagined series, Richard Hatch offers his unique perspective on Battlestar Galactica.
- The Sins of the Unforgiven: Insights on the curious religious aspects of Battlestar Galactica.
- Battlestar Revelations: Firsthand accounts from those on the Battlestar for the past five years.
- Audio Commentaries by Ron Moore, David Eick and Edward James Olmos
- Ronald D. Moore’s Podcast Commentaries
- David Eick’s Video Blogs
- Deleted Scenes
Box art should become available in the coming days or weeks and you can bet I’ll share as soon as it becomes available.
Click here to pre-order Battlestar Galactica: The Complete Series on Blu-ray for $244.99 at Amazon.com.